Thursday, September 26, 2013

Striking 12: Upcoming Musical!

Striking 12
By: Rebecca Rommen

KIS is to perform a rock musical (Striking 12) directed by Kristina Jones this winter! Actors, actresses and musicians participating will be Middle and High School students.

Until last year, Kyiv International School wasn’t known for its theater productions. The school hadn’t put on a big show for nearly 6 years, although a lot of its 750 students wanted to. Then Dr. and Mrs. Jones (music and drama teachers) decided it was time for KIS to show its artistic side. Mrs. Jones directed “Annie Jr.” and cast anyone who wanted to participate (from elementary kids to seniors). It took two months of busy rehearsals as well as months of planning beforehand, and in October of 2012 the cast performed the musical two nights in a row, both times to large audiences and great success.
Last Year's "Annie Jr." Cast
(©Kirsten Maher, October 2012)
Kristina Jones, our school's musical director!
(©Kirsten Maher, October 2012)


Striking 12, written by Broadway writers Brendan Milburn, Rachel Sheinkin & Valerie Vigoda, has a much smaller cast but will take longer to prepare; hopefully it’ll be just as successful (if not more) as “Annie” was!

The upcoming crew and cast members had this to say:

“I love performing since it gives me an opportunity to express myself, as well to collaborate with other musicians. I believe that this year's musical will be a success and I look forward to it”, says Gio Nikolaishvili, 16 (band member).

“I believe that the little assistance that takes place in the production is an important part and maybe the most important part but because of it not being noticed, it's usually looked upon as minor and insignificant when the production would cease to exist without it”- Vaibhav Pahel, 14 (light crew member).”

“The auditions are on Tuesday, so I'm not sure about what it's going to be like and I don't even know if I'll even get in, but I'm really excited! I wanted to participate in the musical last year, but I couldn't because I didn't have time. This year, though, I'm really looking forward to the production. I think that the character roles are quite demanding, but hopefully my passion for singing and acting will help me succeed”- Olexandra “Sasha” Rovinska, 15 (aspiring cast member).

“At first I wanted to be in the cast but I changed to make up, because my friend says that I am REALLY good at that, and I enjoy putting make up on other people to make them look beautiful.”-Amelie Schoppa, 15 (makeup crew).